A Better Question: “What is Your Stress Level?”
With everything going on in the world, the stress hormone, cortisol, could easily be at high levels in your system. The problem with cortisol is that when your body is on high alert for too long (most likely, you are not being chased by a lion 24/7), high cortisol levels lead to a number of potentially dangerous health problems, including:
- Weight Gain
- Low Energy and Drive
- Anxiety and depression
- Heart disease
- Memory and concentration problems
- GI Issues
- Trouble sleeping
- Decreased Sex Drive
What is Cortisol?
First, let’s see what cortisol is. Cortisol is a stress hormone; it plays an important role when it comes to stress levels in the body.
It’s best known for helping trigger your body’s instinctive “fight-or-flight” response in a crisis, but cortisol also plays an important role in a number of things your body does. For example, it:
- Manages how your body uses carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
- Keeps inflammation down
- Regulates your blood pressure
- Increases your blood sugar (glucose)
- Controls your sleep/wake cycle
- Boosts energy so you can handle stress and restores balance afterward
How to determine if your cortisol levels are high?
High cortisol will invite many symptoms and signs. You can consult your doctor to determine the actual levels. However, here are some of the signs/symptoms that come with high cortisol:
- Weight gain in the belly and upper back
- Acne and thin skin are evident
- Rounding and flushing of the face
- Headache frequency increases
- High blood pressure
- Muscle Weakness
- Decreased Focus
- Irritability/Mood Swings
- You might bruise easier than before
- You may experience sleep trouble; difficulty going to sleep, and waking up intermittently throughout the night
How to Decrease Cortisol Levels Naturally?
There are many ways you can decrease cortisol levels naturally. Below are a few ways to decrease cortisol levels. If you need more help organizing your diet and creating a healthy routine, we have Personal Trainers San Diego with Bachelor of Science in Diet & Nutrition on staff ready to help you. Click here and ask for diet help!
- Create a consistent bedtime routine
- No screen time 30 min before bed
- Meditate yourself to sleep
- Recognize stressful thoughts
- Recognize the stressful thoughts as unwanted and pull yourself out (removed rest of it more emphasis on exercise)
- Exercising can also help…and we know a little bit about that
- Diet (click here to get personalized diet guidance)
- Meditation, mindfulness, and even simple breathing exercises can help a person deal with stress more effectively.
- Laugh and find JOY!
- Seek healthy relationships with people…distance yourself from toxic people (even if it’s family, you can love from a distance)
Iron Orr Fitness has a NEW FULL OUTDOOR GYM available to our clients to train safely under Covid-19 shutdowns. For your complimentary assessment please click here. Like we mentioned, you can also get a female personal trainer and/or specific diet help by clicking here to put you on a more direct path without “trying” to figure your body out with dozens of trial and error months.
If you’re concerned about your cortisol levels and would like to take action, contact us for the best Personal Trainers San Diego NOW!
Here’s to living your life to its fullest!
We were voted BEST PERSONAL TRAINERS IN SAN DIEGO 2020 by San Diego Business Awards and rated BEST GYM IN SAN DIEGO 2019 by Expertise. We only hire Elite Certified Personal Trainers in San Diego with varying levels of experience in athletics from the Olympics, Professional, Collegiate, Competitive Power Lifting, to general fitness.
We have a wide range of certified personal trainers that can help any individual at any experience level. We even have a Bachelor of Science degrees in Nutrition on staff for all your dietary needs and advice. CALL or TXT 858.255.0367 to schedule your COMPLIMENTARY consultation today!
We will do a full fitness assessment with no strings attached! Covid-19 Safety precautions will be administered.
Your fitness assessment includes:
– Full body comp assessment
– 20 min low intensity workout
– Goal Planning
– Nutrition Planning
Come into the gym or visit our website at www.ironorrfitness.com today!