Hashimoto’s Disease is an autoimmune disorder that affects the thyroid gland. It is the most common cause of hypothyroidism, which is a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Personal Trainer San Diego Iron Orr Fitness will explore signs you might have Hashimoto’s, ways to manage the disease naturally and ways to lose fat. Hashimoto’s Disease is more common in women than men, and it often develops in middle age.
One of the most common symptoms of Hashimoto’s Disease is weight gain. Women with Hashimoto’s Disease often have difficulty losing weight, even with diet and exercise. This is because the thyroid gland plays a crucial role in regulating metabolism, and when it is not functioning properly, it can slow down metabolism and lead to weight gain.
In addition to weight gain, other symptoms of Hashimoto’s Disease can include fatigue, depression, constipation, dry skin, and hair loss. If you suspect that you may have Hashimoto’s Disease, it is important to see a healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment.
Natural treatments for Hashimoto’s Disease
While there is no cure for Hashimoto’s Disease, there are natural treatments that can help to manage symptoms and improve overall health. Here are a few natural treatments to consider:
1. Eat a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein can help to support thyroid function and improve overall health. Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and foods that are high in saturated fat. Keep your glucose consumption low including alcohol!
2. Manage stress: Stress can worsen symptoms of Hashimoto’s Disease, so it is important to manage stress through relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga.
3. Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep can worsen symptoms of Hashimoto’s Disease, so it is important to get enough sleep each night. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
4. Supplement with selenium: Selenium is a mineral that is important for thyroid function. Supplementing with selenium may help to improve thyroid function and reduce symptoms of Hashimoto’s Disease.
5. Consider probiotics: Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that can help to improve gut health. There is some evidence to suggest that probiotics may help to reduce inflammation and improve symptoms of autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto’s Disease.
Losing weight with Hashimoto’s Disease
Losing weight with Hashimoto’s Disease can be challenging, but it is possible with the right approach. Here are a few tips for losing weight with Hashimoto’s Disease:
1. Work with a healthcare provider: If you are struggling to lose weight with Hashimoto’s Disease, it is important to work with a healthcare provider who can help you develop a personalized plan for weight loss.
2. Focus on whole foods: Eating a diet that is rich in whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein can help to support thyroid function and promote weight loss.
3. Exercise regularly: Exercise can help to boost metabolism and promote weight loss. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise most days of the week. Walking is a great way to keep your cortisol levels low, body weight squats and lunges, planks building muscle and metabolize glucose most efficiently. Low impact movement. The key is keeping your cortisol low and growing muscle; losing fat whilst you sleep.
4. Consider medication: In some cases, medication may be necessary to manage symptoms of Hashimoto’s Disease and promote weight loss. Talk to your healthcare provider about whether medication may be right for you.
5. Be patient: Losing weight with Hashimoto’s Disease can take time, so it is important to be patient and stick with your plan. Celebrate small victories along the way and remember that slow and steady progress is better than no progress at all.
If you’re having a tough time sorting out which exercises and sets and reps to do in order to build muscle without increasing cortisol, reach out to a personal trainer. Certified trainers with years of experience can help you accomplish your goal. Here at Personal Trainer San Diego Iron Orr Fitness, we work with people in person as well as online to help people get to their goals in a safe, efficient and enjoyable manner.